Monday, August 8, 2016

Chicken Breasts in Lemon Sage Sauce for #SecretRecipeClub

Is it just me or does time just seem to disappear?  I cannot believe it is already the second Monday of August.  Where does the time go?

The second Monday of the month is special to me because that is the day our group, Group B, in the Secret Recipe Club reveals whose blog they were assigned and what delicious dish they found to share.  It is always fun to check out the other blogs and exciting to see who was assigned to you and which recipe they decided to make.  Whenever I post a recipe I say a little prayer that if anyone decides to make it, it turns out as well for them.  I really appreciate it when someone does make a recipe and shares with me whether or not it was successful.  That's one of the reasons I love this club.


This month I was assigned Searching for Spice, a wonderfully written blog by Corina.  Corina loves spices, hence the name.  She is especially fond of Indian, Mexican, Thai and Chinese foods and her recipe list bears that out.  So you would think I would have tried one of these great cuisines right? Well, I'm still on my 28 day eating plan so I decided to stick with something that I knew I could easily adapt.  

Corinne has two little cuties she calls Little Miss Spice and Master Spice.  She also belongs to another club that I want to check out in more detail called Cook Once, Eat Twice.  Now that is right up my alley, especially now that it is just Frank and I and I always seem to have leftovers to repurpose.

Corinne's recipe index is easy to use.  There is a drop down menu that shows different categories. You choose the category and then a list pops up of all the recipes included in that area.  I had some chicken breasts that I wanted to use so I went right to the chicken category.  

I really wanted to make the Chicken Biryani but it called for yogurt and I am not allowed dairy yet. The Chicken New Yorker had my mouth watering, bacon, bbq sauce and cheese....cross that one of the list.  The Coca-Cola Chili Chicken is absolutely getting made in this household before I start the next 28 day cycle of this eating plan.  


I finally settled on this lovely recipe for Chicken Breasts in a Lemon Sage Sauce.  I needed only change the flour used and it was Phase 3 friendly.  I served it up along with a vegetable quinoa pilaf. It's a keeper, remeniscent of Chicken Piccata but with Sage and no capers.  I am a huge sage fan and if you are on the same page you will definitely want to give Corina's recipe a try.  

I made one very minor change to the procedure used by pounding the breasts to 1/4" thickness to cut down on cooking time.  Thanks Corina for the perfect recipe....Easy, Peasy and Delicious.

Chicken Breasts in Lemon Sage Sauce
slightly adapted from Searching for Spice

2 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 " thickness.
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 T. almond flour
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 c. chicken stock
1 t. rubbed sage
1 egg yolk
1 t. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. olive oil

In a small bowl combind the lemon juice, flour and garlic to make a paste.  Coat the chicken with the paste and let rest, refrigerated, for half an hour. 

Place a skillet over med heat.  Add the olive oil. Scrape the paste from the chicken, holding in reserve for next step.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear both sides in the hot oil until golden brown.  Remove the chicken to a plate.  Add the reserved paste to the pan, along with the chicken stock and sage.  Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Return the chicken to the skillet, reduce heat, cover and gently simmer until cooked through, 7-10 minutes.

Beat egg yolk with the teaspoon of lemon juice.  Remove chicken to a serving plate.  Add the yolk mixture to the liquid in the skillet.  Cook, stirring until thickened.  Spoon over breasts and serve. Print Recipe 

Take a look at what the others are revealing









16 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you enjoyed this recipe and thanks for reminding me about a couple of other recipes I haven't made for a while too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like a perfect Sunday night supper!!
    Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way as you when I post something I've made "I hope if someone tries this one they like it!". This sounds like a wonderful meal - great pick for today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks mighty delicious, Wendy! We will definitely being trying this. Great SRC selection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth just watered when I read the title. On my list of things to try, the SHORT one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so so good! And yes, time does go way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious Wendy! Perfect for summer and fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always looking for new and delicious recipes for chicken breasts! Adding this one to my menu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy chicken! I bet the lemon sage really gave this chicken some great flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.