Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Saying Hello to Halo~~Product Review

I was approached by Halo Top Creamery and offered a coupon for a complimentary pint of ice cream in return for posting an honest opinion on this blog and posting a photo and link to this review on Instagram.  I received no monetary compensation nor did I receive any further instructions or requirements regarding my post.  This review is 100% mine and 100% true.


Halo Top describes their ice cream as "low-calorie, high-protein, and low-sugar, we use only the best, all-natural ingredients to craft our ice cream so that it tastes just like regular ice cream."

I was skeptical, especially since this entire pint of Sea Salt Caramel ice cream only contains 320 calories.  Especially considering that a 1/2 cup serving of Hagen Daz Salted Caramel ice cream contains 240 calorie.  That is a huge difference.  Huge.....160 calories, huge.  That means you could eat 3 servings of this ice cream for the same calories as 1 serving of regular ice cream.

This is great unless the low calorie, high protein and low sugar ice cream tastes like pooder dooder. Pooder Dooder is a technical term adopted from my nephew when he was being potty trained.  He is 40 now and our entire family still says pooder dooder.

So I scooped myself a serving of ice cream and added no adornments of any kind.  No hot fudge, no whipped cream, no cherry.  Just plain old unadorned Salted Caramel flavored Halo Top Ice Cream.

It is rich, smooth and creamy.  Had I been served this ice cream in a blind taste test I would have never guessed in a million years that it was low fat and low sugar.  It was delicious and I will be indulging in other flavors, guilt free (or at least with less guilt) from now on.

I was slightly disappointed by the salted caramel flavor. It was good but, to me, it tasted more like butterscotch.  Now, I know, that some people believe that caramel and butterscotch are the same thing.  I know that sometimes the terms are used interchangeably.  

I, however, do not think they are the same thing.  I think they are two very distinctive flavors.  I like butterscotch, hence I enjoyed this bowl of ice cream.  However I was expecting and looking forward to caramel.  This is a slight little disappointment that perhaps nobody else would even mention.  I am looking forward to trying some of their other flavors. Next up?  Peanut Butter Cup......YUM!!!




4 comments:

  1. Pooder dooder! I love that. Also, you've succeeded in making me want to try Halo. I'm always skeptical of low sugar, because a lot of times they supplement it artificial sweetners. So, if this one is truly all natural, I'm game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they use stevia in this ice cream, which is a natural plant based sweetener.

      Delete
  2. Gotta love the made up words that kids use that get adopted by the entire family! We have several of those, too. Too cute. We just tasted Halo Top last night, too, and Sea Salt Caramel was not a favorite with us, either. Pistachio won, hands down!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.