Sunday, August 13, 2017

Casimer Rice for #SundaySupper

The theme for this month's Sunday Supper is Back to School Dinners.  This recipe that I am sharing today is perfect for Back to School.  It is quick, easy and economical.  It reheats well so it can be made ahead of time if you wish or leftovers can be used for lunches the next day.


It contains chicken which most kids love and as a bonus has grilled fruit that adds a little sweetness to the dish.

I had this dish in a restaurant and fell in love with it.  It is lightly spiced with mild curry so it is flavorful without heat.  While looking to recreate this dish I found many recipes, many in Swedish and all with different variations.  Some used coconut milk, some used fruit cocktail.  Some used rice pilaf, some used white rice.  Some added almonds or raisins.  Some poached the fruit, some added it raw.  None of them grilled the fruit which is what the restaurant where I had it did.  

So I took a bit of this recipe and a dash of that recipe and a snippet from another and a smidge from the dish I ate and did my best to recreate this wonderful dish.

My dish was good....not as good as the restaurant but good enough that I will make it again.....tweaking until I get it just right.  Some of the things I will change from the recipe I am sharing.  I will double the sauce next time.  I will also add a bit of sweetener (perhaps honey) to the sauce. I will brush my fruit with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper and I will use bananas that are not quite ripe.


Casimer Rice

2 lg. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
1/2 T. olive oil
1/2 T. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
2 t. minced ginger
1/2 c. white wine
1 1/2 c. half and half
1 T. mild curry powder
1 t. cornstarch
2 bananas, peeled and quartered
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4" slices
3 c. cooked rice

Melt the butter with the olive oil over med high heat in a large skillet.  Add the scallions, ginger and garlic, cook and stir for half a minute until fragrant.  Add the chicken.  Cook and stir until no longer pink and lightly browned.  Remove to a plate and set aside.

Add the wine to the hot pan and deglaze, scraping up any crispy bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle in the curry powder and cornstarch, cook and stir until incorporated.  Add the light cream. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Return the chicken to the sauce and cook until warmed through.

Meanwhile place the fruit slices on a hot griddle or grill pan and cook on both sides until browned and caramelized.

To serve, place 1/2 cup of rice into the center of a shallow dish. Surround with 1/4 of the chicken and sauce, top with 2 banana slices and 2 pineapples slices.  Print Recipe

More Back to School Dinner Recipes


Beef and Pork

Pastas, Soups, Rice and Stews

Poultry

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

8 comments:

  1. I love this exotic rice dish! Perfect to shake up my fall menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this dish...but I must say, after reading the ingredients, I think it's something I'd enjoy! Def going to give it a try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, never heard of this dish before but the combination sounds amazing!! also like the fact it can be made ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hadn't heard of it prior to that dinner out and then I couldn't wait to make it.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea for a party side!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.