Thursday, November 19, 2015

Mocha Bundt Cake for #BundtBakers

Our theme for this month's Bundt Bakers, as chosen by Tara of Noshing with the Nolands, is Hot Chocolate.  A few weeks ago I shared a recipe for Flavored Mocha Mix for a project I'm participating in called Handcrafted Edibles.  I decided to stick with this theme and make a Mocha Bundt.



I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and followed it exactly which is very unusual for me as I normally consider recipes more of a guideline.  The cake turned out very well, it was moist and very good.  That being said, I have made better cakes that took much less effort and dirtied many less dishes than this cake.  So, while I may make this cake again, I will not follow the recipe exactly.  I will use it as a guideline and see how it turns out.  I will let you know and share the adapted recipe with you if it turns out well.  In the meantime, don't be afraid to make this cake for your holiday table, just be sure to give yourself time to wash all the dishes before your guests arrive.


Mocha Bundt Cake
as found at Allrecipes.com by alijmorris

3/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 egg yolks
1 t. baking soda
2 T. cold water
1/2 c. strong brewed coffee
1 c. coffee flavored liqueur, divided
2 T. vanilla extract
1 1/3 all purpose flour
4 egg whites
1 c. confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 325*.  Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan.  In a large measuring cup dissolve baking soda in water, then add coffee, 1/2 c. coffee liqueur and vanilla.

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Beat in the cocoa and then the egg yolks, one at a time.  Alternately beat in the flour and the coffee mixture just until incorporated.

In a large glass or metal mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate batter, then quickly fold in the remaining whites until no streaks remain.

Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle removes cleanly.  Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then turn onto a cooling rack.While cake is cooling in the pan, combine the remaining 1/2 c coffee liqueur with the confectioners sugar in a small bowl to make the glaze. Pierce the warm cake all over with a fork or the skewer and drizzle the glaze a spoonful at a time over the cake until it is absorbed.  Print Recipe

Let's see what other Hot Chocolate Bundts are being served today:


BundtBakers

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.

18 comments:

  1. Such a delicious sounding and looking cake, just like a great hot chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...love the sound of this cake - mocha is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mocha's, your cake looks lovely. Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, it looks like we are both making the rounds this morning LOL

      Delete
  4. YUMMMM... a slice of your mocha hot chocolate cake would do the trick right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gotta get my hands on that mocha glaze. I wanna drizzle it over everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the coffee with the cocoa. I am not good at following recipes either lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most seasoned cooks only use recipes as a guideline. When I first started cooking I followed that recipe like it was Gospel, then as my confidence built I learned to trust my instincts.

      Delete
  7. Also love the chocolate and the coffee combined! Your Bundt looks fabulous! And yes, following recipes isn't that easy ;-) Can't wait to see your adaptations to the recipe! Lara Tartacadabra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, mocha... I already love it! I often put coffee in my chocolate cakes, but have not thought about adding coffee liqueur! Will have to try that :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delish... Lovely idea of using Mocha....

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.